Chicago Girl Who Went Into Coma After a Visit to the Dentist Dies

This article is from the archive of The New York Sun before the launch of its new website in 2022. The Sun has neither altered nor updated such articles but will seek to correct any errors, mis-categorizations or other problems introduced during transfer.

The New York Sun

A 5-year-old Chicago girl who never awoke from her sedation during a visit to the dentist died Wednesday at Children’s Memorial Hospital, a hospital official said. Kindergartner Diamond Brownridge had been in a coma and on life support since the weekend dentist visit, said Julie Pesch, a spokeswoman for Children’s Memorial Hospital.

Family members have said Diamond received a triple dose of sedatives — an oral agent, an intravenous drug and nitrous oxide gas — during Saturday’s exam at Little Angel Dental.

The girl was having two cavities filled and caps placed on her lower front teeth.

The girl’s mother, Ommettress Travis, has said she was asked to leave the room during the half-hour procedure.

When she returned, her daughter was lying in the dental chair, not breathing, she said.

“She passed very peacefully and beautifully,” the statement said.

The girl’s dentist, Hicham Riba, was certified to administer anesthesia to patients and his state license was current, a spokeswoman for the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, Susan Hofer, said.


The New York Sun

© 2024 The New York Sun Company, LLC. All rights reserved.

Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The material on this site is protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used.

The New York Sun

Sign in or  Create a free account

By continuing you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use